So, what is pelau? Pelau could be described as one pot dish which includes meat, whether it be chicken, pork or beef to name a few. Also included in the dish is rice and pigeon peas. It is simple and quick to cook. Pealu is usually served with potato salad, cole slaw, fresh green salad and sometimes fried plantain (my favourite…yummy :))
My recipe for Potato Salad.
- 1 tin pigeon peas
- 2 cups rice, washed out
- 1-2 lbs seasoned chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into mini cubes
- 1 cup pumpkin, chopped into mini cubes
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped into mini cubes
- 2 pimento pepper cut into halves
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Goya all-purpose seasoning for taste
My chicken for this recipe was clean seasoned with a homemade green seasoning. For the seasoning I used onions, garlic, chive, chandon beni (Culantro), thyme, parsley and a splash of Angostura bitters, blended a together. Chicken marinated and stay in the freezer overnight.
- Heat a big iron pot or skillet, add oil, sugar and garlic. Wait until mixture is slightly brown.
- Add in chicken, stirring till all pieces are evenly coated, leave to simmered for about 5 minutes.
- Add in rice and soy sauce, mixing together to get rice coated
- Add in carrots, green pepper, pumpkin, pimento and pigeon peas, mixing till all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add boiling water and coconut milk to the mixture, giving it a good stir.
- Add in ketchup and Goya, giving it good stir.
- Cover pot and leave on a medium heat, until rice cooks and liquid from pot has absorbed.
- Remove pimento peppers
Thank you for reading. 💖
© Shinavy Blogs